Rats cause significant problems for homeowners across the North East of England. They spread diseases, cause damage to homes and are the cause of many sleepless nights. Rats are also more challenging to eliminate than you may have initially thought due to some vital behavioural characteristics.
- Rats are naturally neophobic, which is a survival behaviour they have developed. Neophobia includes the fear and avoidance of new objects like traps and poison. This means if you’ve tried to get rid of rats yourself, there is a chance you’ve enhanced their neophobia.
- Rats have their favourite routes into your property. Understanding these routes and utilising them to implement effective rodent control is essential. Identifying these routes often requires first-hand experience alongside an RSPH Level 2 qualification.
Invicta Environmental’s team of rat control experts can eradicate long-term rat problems from your home or business. We’re one of the only companies that put a guarantee on our riddance programs to ensure complete customer satisfaction.
Understanding Rat Infestations
In the UK, rat species like brown rats are widespread, while sightings of black rats are infrequent. In County Durham, particularly in residential areas, gardens, and commercial properties, brown rats are commonly observed. These rats typically reach sizes of 15cm to 25cm and possess a distinctive tail almost as long as their body.
Rat problems pose significant dangers when left unaddressed due to the presence of hazardous pathogens in rat urine, including:
- Weil’s disease
- Toxoplasma gondii
- Rat bite fever
Structural damage is another concerning issue associated with rat problems. Rats constantly need to gnaw to keep their teeth in check, which means they will chew through various materials, including electrical cables in your attic, leading to serious safety hazards.
The Professional Pest Control Approach
Inspection and Assessment
Invicta Environmental starts by understanding your on-site issues. We listen, assess, and recommend the best action. A site survey may be required to understand the best solution for controlling rats on your business premises.
Tailored Treatment Solutions
We schedule a visit to carry out our precise rat control treatment. The treatment will be tailored to your specific issue and needs.
Safe and Effective Extermination
Our rat control extermination process is safe for pets, kids and humans. We don’t use rodenticides (poisons) due to the environmental impact they cause. Instead, we use traps placed by highly knowledgeable pest control technicians to deter rats.
All our rat control visits come with detailed photographic reports so you can understand exactly what we have done and what equipment we have used to prevent future infestations.
North East’s Highest-Rated Pest Control Company
Signs of a Rat Infestation
Identifying a rat problem is not always straightforward. However, unlike other pests, rats leave various telltale signs indicating their presence. These signs may include, but are not limited to:
- Rat Droppings: Typically dark brown in colour and roughly the size of a raisin.
- Damaged Food: Finding food wrappers or food in unusual places on your property.
- Footprints: While footprints may go unnoticed by most, they serve as a clear indicator of rat activity to a trained eye.
- Gnawing: Noticeable signs of gnawing, such as damage to cables or the base of doors.
- Sightings: Whether inside or outside your property, seeing a black or brown rat is a definite red flag.
- Noises: Rodents are likely the culprits if you are kept awake by scratching in your cavity walls during the early hours.
If you observe any of the above signs, it’s quite probable that you are dealing with a rat problem. If you have concerns about a rat colony on your property, please get in touch with our team. We will gladly discuss our rat control solutions and provide a free, no-obligation quote.